Executive Director of Marketing and Communications
Posting Date: Friday, November 18, 2016
Location: 11715 Garfield Road Hiram, Ohio 44234
Job Type: Executive
The Executive Director of Marketing and Communications is the senior marketing, communications and media relations representative for Hiram College, reporting directly to the Vice President of Enrollment, and in frequent direct consultation with the President of the College. The central purpose of this position and its areas of oversight is to inform internal and external constituents about the College’s goals, aspirations, and programs; build positive interactions between the institution and its publics; and thereby build support for its mission of teaching, research, and service.
The Executive Director is responsible for developing and implementing a coordinated program of strategic communications designed to advance the objectives of the institution. To achieve this, the Executive Director provides oversight for: governmental relations at the federal, state, and regional levels; public relations, marketing, and media relations to support recruitment marketing and increase enrollment, retention, and fundraising.
The Executive Director supervises a small staff in the following areas: the Office of College Relations, Government Relations, and the Hiram Community Trust.
- Prepares and administers annual budgets. Develops and administers the budget for assigned functions; directs the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitors and approves expenditures; makes mid-year projections and corrections as needed. Participates in annual budget planning for the institution.
- Ensures resources are allocated effectively to achieve enrollment management objectives. Reviews expenses, prepares periodic reports, and develops annual budget recommendations. Ensures that programs produce measurable results that are communicated to the campus community.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
Serves as an advisor to the President, in consultation with the Vice President of Enrollment on communication issues and handles highly confidential matters while providing comprehensive and independent counsel. Informs/advises the Board of Trustees as directed by the President.
- Represents the College at on- and off-campus activities and events when a Senior Cabinet member is unable to attend.
- Manages the Office of College Relations to develop marketing and communication strategies to support student recruitment and retention, website development, fundraising, and academic and general visibility efforts.
- Leads the institution’s branding and public relations efforts in support of the Senior Cabinet’s agenda and vision for the College.
- Develops and implements strategic initiatives which differentiate Hiram College in the higher education marketplace utilizing all available communication channels including collateral development, web, media, advertising, and social media.
- Works directly with the Vice President of Enrollment, and in collaboration with the President, Cabinet and other members of campus to develop written and spoken communication which articulate Hiram’s brand of education through speeches, talking points, emails, articles, and updates to campus and external audiences.
- Leads all College communication efforts and serves as the primary spokesperson for the institution to local, regional, and national media.
- Serves as co-chair of the College’s Campus Emergency Response Team with a focus on enhancing Hiram’s reputation through timely and credible communication when dealing with sensitive issues.
- Serves as liaison to the College on all matters pertaining to governmental relations and issues in higher education, creates and manages positive relationships for the institution with local, regional, state, and federal government officials and agencies.
- Provides oversight to the Hiram Community Trust and serves as a leader or representative with other community partnerships as needed.
Committee, Regional, and Professional Affiliations
- Co-chairs the Campus Emergency Response Team, which makes recommendations to the President and Senior Cabinet in crisis situations.
- Serves as campus representative to Hiram Village Council and Hiram Beautification Committee.
- Represents the College through service on other community boards and committees, as appropriate.
- Represents the College with a visible presence at events with local businesses and elected officials.
Apply Here: http://www.hiram.edu/careers-at-hiram